Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 1995 15:35:30 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs fails to remove no-longer-present files

>>`cvs update' and `cvs co' didn't do anything for the large batch of
>>removed games/x11 and etc/etc.i386 files.  I moved the directories
>>out of the way.  Then `cvs co' worked right.

>   You used "cvs update -Pd"? Works for me:

No, but it made no difference, and I tried "cvs co -P".  The problem
was still there when I moved some things back:

	cd $CVSROOT/src/etc/etc.i386
	mv Attic/cpio* .
	cd /usr/src/etc/etc.i386
	cvs update			# check out cpio* again as expected
	cd $CVSROOT/src/etc/etc.i386
	mv cpio* Attic
	cd /usr/src/etc/etc.i386
	cvs update [-Pd]		# didn't do anything

and more interestingly:

	rm cpio*
	cvs update			# checked out cpio* from the Attic!

The new cvs apparently has a bugfeature of checking out old things from
the Attic when there are references to the old things in CVS/Entries
This is inconsistent with the old cvs, and breaks ctm, which doesn't
export CVS/*.

`cvs update -r HEAD' in etc.i386 works even worse.  It checks out all
the old stuff in the Attic.  Oops.  I made the mistake of trying
this in sys/i386/i386 too, and it checked out lots of old files,
e.g., bt742a.c.

Bruce