Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:01:16 GMT
From:      "Brian A. Seklecki" <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/102678: Dell PowerEdge DRAC5 USB Keyboard

>Number:         102678
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Dell PowerEdge DRAC5 USB Keyboard
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

The virtual USB keyboard device does not function in OpenBSD 3.9/i386, NetBSD/i386 3.0.1, or FreeBSD/i386 6.1-p3.

This is with PE1950 Bios 1.1.0 and DRAC5 bios A01 1.0 (06.05.12) (latest, brand new systems).

On OpenBSD and FreeBSD, the devices attach but invalid input is dropped giving the appearance of unresponsiveness.

The NetBSD driver is more sensitive and sends some insightful output to the kernel message buffer:

The "USB Mouse Emulation" type does not effect the behavior (see different attachment debug output below). Virtual media modes do not affect the behavior.

And there is no longer a mysterous and undocumented "OS install mode" in the BIOS.

There is also no longer a "legacy USB keyboard emulation mode" in the BIOS either:

http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/nbsd3_i386_drac5_uhiddev0_kbd_error.png

http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/nbsd3_i386_drac5_uhiddev0_kbd_Option_NoAccel.png

http://digitalfreaks.org/~lavalamp/nbsd3_i386_drac5_uhiddev0_kbd_error.png

I will open PR with NetBSD and FreeBSD and report back with the ticket numbers.

I will also look into possible hacks Dell slipped into the Linux USB code to make this work.

--

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=pes_linux&message.id=3603
>How-To-Repeat:
Attempt to boot and install FreeBSD 6.1 from the mininst ISO image prestend remotely via the DRAC5 remote media feature.
>Fix:
hint.atkbd0.0.flags="0x1" has no effect.