Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:33:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        David Uzzell <duzzell@saintspc.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Multi IP's to one interface ie. tun0

On 21-Dec-99 David Uzzell wrote:
> I have finally got my permanent connection going.
> I have to setup the dialup as for a router which is fine but I need to be
> able to serve www page and mail of the same machine.
> How would I go about having multi ip's set for the one interface tun0
>
> I think may have been answered before but can't seem to find it. If any one
> can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Multiple ip's to one iface is done with natd (man natd, it's already there).
This enables you to have several machines on a local net accessing the outside
through one iface. The internal IP's are not visible from the outside.

It does not let external machines distinguish your internal boxes though. E.g.
you cannot ftp from the outside to your internal machines, only to your
'tun0-box'.

There is nothing wrong in letting your 'tun0-box' also handle mail and have a
http-server. Well, apart from some security issues. Many sites will have the
http-server as a standalone box with everything firewalled except port 80. And
let mail be handled by yet another firewalled box etc. But that's going a bit
far into the subject...

[Droning on]
Unless you are paranoid or are very intrusion prone I would not bother with the
firewalling stuff.

And in any case one would have to know specifics about your situation before
giving any other advice

> FreeBSD the only
> Real OS for Real Users

Yes, yes, YES!