Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:14:24 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Alexander Burke <alex@alexburke.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB tethering between FreeBSD and mobile phone (Debian OS)

El día miércoles, noviembre 15, 2023 a las 07:14:53a. m. +0100, Alexander Burke escribió:

> Hi Matthias (and anyone who comes across this later),
>
> The DHCP server should be run on the device capable of acting as an internet gateway (in this case, the phone) or else the setup is backwards from every setup I've come across in 25 years in IT. (In fact, your phone probably already had dhcpd installed for exactly that reason.)

Hi Alexander (and anyone who comes across this later),

There is no DHCP server installed in the phone, only a DHCP client:

purism@pureos:~$ dpkg -l | grep dhcp
ii  isc-dhcp-client                       4.4.1-2.3+deb11u2                        arm64        DHCP client for automatically obtaining an IP address
ii  isc-dhcp-common                       4.4.1-2.3+deb11u2                        arm64        common manpages relevant to all of the isc-dhcp packages

purism@pureos:~$ apt info isc-dhcp-server
Package: isc-dhcp-server
Version: 4.4.1-2.3+deb11u2
Download-Size: 524 kB
APT-Sources: https://repo.pureos.net/pureos byzantium/main arm64 Packages

i.e. could be downloaded and installed, but it is not.

For the reasos that this is not installed and configured in the
phone one could read and understand these posting in the Purism's
forum:

https://forums.puri.sm/t/l5-dhcp-server/21828

I'm not an Debian and NetworkManager expert. It is just a fact, that the
phone device sends DHCP requests when carrier comes up.

The solution I've configured and documented gives what I was in need:
SSH access from the FreeBSD laptop into the phone (to do things there
like installations, troubleshooting, readin my mails, etc.).

Hope it helps someone in the same need.

> Why swim against the current and make things more complex than they need to be?

Because there is no DHCP server installed in the phone. I will copy your
(Alexander) public reply from this mailing list into the forum and will
ask Purism staff why the things have been setup this ways.

Thanks

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045