Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:05:53 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <pmh@hausen.com>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting a stable MAC address for a RPI CM3+ with ue0 interface

Hi!

> Am 20.09.2023 um 20:25 schrieb Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>:
> Quoting a post from a "Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator"
> (PhilE) from https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=3D327562 :
>=20
> QUOTE
> Re: /boot/cmdline.txt help
> Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:35 am
>=20
> And on all Pis you can use the config.txt setting "force_mac_address":
>=20
> force_mac_address=3Daa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
> END QUOTE
>=20
> That makes the live dtb match and is the earliest assignment
> available, before any external visability.

No worky.

root@generic:~ # ifconfig ue0
ue0: flags=3D1008843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,LOWER_UP> =
metric 0 mtu 1500
options=3D80009<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,LINKSTATE>
ether 5e:2f:31:ef:bc:b4

root@generic:~ # cat /boot/efi/config.txt=20
[all]
arm_64bit=3D1
dtparam=3Daudio=3Don,i2c_arm=3Don,spi=3Don
dtoverlay=3Dmmc
dtoverlay=3Ddisable-bt
device_tree_address=3D0x4000
kernel=3Du-boot.bin
force_mac_address=3Db8:27:eb:09:cb:7d

In that thread you cited PhilE also wrote:

> With the right overlay and a supporting Ethernet driver it could be =
made to change the MAC address of any
> single interface - it depends on where the ethernet0 alias points to.

So do we possibly not have the "right overlay and supporting Ethernet =
driver"?

I'll go with static configuration for now to get this puppy up and =
running - still very interested in a proper solution.

Kind regards,
Patrick=