Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:24:40 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] GNU make 3.82

On 03/10/2011 09:43, Ade Lovett wrote:
> Work is now underway to bring GNU make 3.82 into the tree.  Sadly,
> there are a number of rather unfortunate backwards incompatibility
> issues between this and 3.81 which makes a simple replacement
> unworkable.

Can you give us an idea of how many ports we're talking about? Rather
than having 2 gmake ports (which is likely to last for a very long time,
"best laid plans" aside) can we at least explore the idea of fixing
things that are broken to work with 3.82 first? My suggestion is to do
the -exp run, then post here and to maintainers of broken ports directly
and see what a reasonable time frame would be to get things fixed the
right way first.

My understanding is that there is _currently_ no pressure to get gmake
upgraded, so at least exploring the idea of doing it without a kludge
seems reasonable to me, although I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Doug

			-- OK Go