Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 09:37:42 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about quota

Who the heck knows about attributions so I'm going to remove them:

> > >Sendmail is running as 'root' and writes to the /var/mail throug local
> > >mailer that runns as 'root'.
> >
> > If you look in /var/mail at your mail file you will see it is owned by
> > yourself. Since you have ownership of it, it should count against your
> > quota. We have observer that this is not the case. So we ask, "What is
> > going on?"
>
> I ran into this problem on FreeBSD server I am admin for.
>
> Local mailer changes ownership of the mail file after update.

Yup...finally fixed this problem for myself a few weeks ago.  Unless you
have a very recent version of 2.2-STABLE/3.0-CURRENT) the default local
mailer (mail.local) in Sendmail IGNORES any quota established in the mail
spool filesystem.  I solved it by changing the local mailer to procmail
by adding

	FEATURE (local_procmail)

to my /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf/<filename>.mc file and then running
it through m4 to create a new sendmail.cf file.
Recent builds of 2.2-STABLE/3.0-CURRENT have been changed so that
mail.local delivers mail AS THE USER rather than as root.

As for (qualcomm) popper, by default it creates a "pop_drop" file in the
same directory as the mail spool, thus in theory you'd need to have your
hard quota set to TWICE your soft quota because it makes a COPY of the
mailbox while the customer is downloading mail.  The problem though is
that by setting a high soft quota, a customer could actually receive more
"real" mail than their soft quota and qpopper will puke when it tries to
make a copy of the mail file.  There is a -DNO_SERVER mode which "zeros"
the original mailbox file once it makes a copy in .<username>.pop, but it
still has the potential to crap out if the user doesn't have enough space
for both the mailbox file and the temporary .<username>.pop file.

My solution for this was to recompile popper to write the temporary .pop
file into a different unquota'd partition.

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net