Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 13:02:41 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, grog@lemis.de, cosmos@misery.bssc.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jack@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: HELP!!! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY (fwd)

Poul-Henning Kamp stands accused of saying:

>> The "best" solution to the basic problem (no Jordan, no wolves this time 8)
>> would be better detection/interoperation with BIOS extenders.  This is
>> kinda problematic though, as none of the deep-down disk hackers consider IDE
>> worthy of their spit, and the technical aspects of the problem are
>> pretty hairy.
>
> As the one who spent a lot more than I liked, of time I didn't have, on
> getting this particular area of sysinstall working, I kind of resent that
> remark, quite a lot in fact :-(

Sorry; I'd still hold to the assertion that you don't consider IDE worth
your spit, but that you spent the time because you consider FreeBSD is.

> I am also on the ata/atapi mailing-list and I can comfortably say that
> this entire area is so impossible to handle intelligently and correctly
> in all cases, that I'm seriously tempted to not even touch it again, ever.

Hmm. Somehow I don't think we could get away with making FreeBSD an
IDE-free zone, but it would be nice.

>        I) a copy of Ontrack Diskmanager version 6.X
>     *  J) a copy of Ontrack Diskmanager version 7.X
>     *	.... You get the idea...

This in particular is the "idea" that's most important in this context;
it would be nice even just to have an enumerated list of the other
products of this type that in use.

> It doesn't improve too much that people send error reports which
> essentially say "Hey it fucked my harddisk over, die you sucker!!!"

Agreed 8(

> I personally have 12+ years of OS installation, and have learned that
> if I have anything on the disks I care about, I will back it up first,
> and I will read any information from the install program very very
> carefully, with a very paranoid attitude.

But instilling this into the mind of a WareZ-crazed ftp-head is _very_hard_.
8(

> Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[