Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:50:35 -0500
From:      "Passki, Jonathan P" <jpasski@kpmg.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Read-Only Filesystems

> > Nope, that's the one. Once the attacker breaks root on a high
> > securelevel machine they can arrange it so that the next time the
> > system boots it does their dirty work for them prior to raising the
> > securelevel (e.g. load a KLD which allows them backdoor
> access around
> > the securelevel restrictions, so the system appears to be running
> > normally).
> >
> > Kris
>

> To be truly, anal. Couldn't one just put a bios boot password
> on every
> server reboot (really how often do we need to reboot). And
> have a serial
> console hooked up to the server.
>
> That way if the attacker drops the security level and
> reboots, he can't
> modify anything as the server never boots up. It's major downtime, but
> better then a comprimise.
>
> K.J.

<sarcasm>
Why not just unplug it, lock the computer in a safe, and seal the safe?
</sarcasm>

Security is usually a compromise determined from user requirements and
system requirements.  The number of levels of controls in place help (onion
layer effect), but at some time it will hinder.  I guess it's all just a
rhetorical argument, since every environment is different, and objective
views on security controls are hard to make, unless you can analysis the
environment.

If one person is running a FreeBSD box behind a decent firewall, most
attacks out there won't succeed, but perhaps that sk1ll3d h4x0r might be
able to compromise your box.  If you're a corporation, the more layers and
controls involved.

yada yada yada

Jon

My $.02 in this non-technical, red herring rant ;)
is unauthorized.