Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:12:15 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mike.jakubik@intertainservices.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Call for Testers] VirtualBox 4.2.4

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Mike Jakubik
<mike.jakubik@intertainservices.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2012 4:05:06 PM Mike Jakubik wrote:
>> On Tuesday 30 October 2012 3:56:29 PM Bernhard Fr=F6hlich wrote:
>> > On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Mike Jakubik

>> > Patches are welcome but it's not supported from us yet and probably wi=
ll
>> > never be.
>>
>> Thats a shame, i'll see if i can make it work, though im not an expert i=
>> this field.

Default compiler for 10.0 will be CLANG from base but gcc 4.2 will still be=
 in
base so we should be able to use that without additional work. That should
give us at least one more release cycle if we need it.

> This was apprantly already discussed by others two years ago.
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2010-July/007873.htm=
>
> I've modified Config.kmk to exclude those FreeBSD custom compiler options=
 and it
> continued to compile. Unforntunately it did fail again but for a differen=
> reason, it seems like getting this to work with an up to date version of =
gcc
> wouldnt be too hard by someone who knew what they were doing.

Andriy Gapon has some more recent patches for an older vbox version
that also work with gcc 4.6:
http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/vbox4-gcc45.patch

--=20
Bernhard Froehlich