Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:40:10 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Sean Fagan <sef@ixsystems.com>, lev@freebsd.org, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

--V6LUty14dADzmtgW

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 12:21:28PM -0700, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>=20
>=20
> On 04/18/16 12:14, Glen Barber wrote:
> >>Just a guess, having done the same thing myself:  it means that updates=
 can be
> >>more targeted.
> >>
> >This is exactly the reason, which has been answered numerous times.
> >
> >Glen
> >
>=20
> That's a good reason -- and a very nice outcome of having base system
> packages -- but I worry that it may be going too far. The most granular
> updates would be if every file were its own package, which is obviously
> crazy, and so there is some middle ground. Needing to grab a whole new
> base.txz is probably too much (60 MB), but splitting that into even 6 or 7
> pieces moves the updates to replacements with typical size (a few MB) that
> are no larger than typical package updates for ports.

This granularity allows easy removal of things that may not be wanted
(such as *-debug*, *-profile*, etc.) on systems with little storage.  On
one of my testing systems, I removed the tests packages and all debug
and profiling, and the number of base system packages is 383.

Glen

--V6LUty14dADzmtgW

--V6LUty14dADzmtgW--