Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:31:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Dan Larsson <dl@tyfon.net>
Cc:        "[FreeBSD-ISP-List] (E-post)" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, "[FreeBSD-Questions-List] (E-post)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: uucpd problem

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Dan Larsson wrote:
> I'm having problems 'activating' the uucp daemon.
> Are there any tutorials on FreeBSD <--> Taylor UUCP?

I am sure that FreeBSD UUCP *IS* Taylor UUCP. The original UUCP from
Bazerkly was pretty simple, thus most UUCP shops I worked at used HDB
(HoneyDanBer) UUCP. (incl: SCO and Tandy RS/6000) It had a *lot* more
(useful even!) features, logging, and performance. To see for yourself,
try 'strings -a /usr/libexec/uucp/uucico | grep -i Taylor'...

Taylor UUCP can be compiled several ways, though, to use different format
config files (easier upgrade from HDB). Thus, if you have an existing
Taylor UUCP (SunOS, HPUX, etc...) that was compiled to use existing config
files, the FreeBSD format (native Taylor, I think) may look strange.

If you can give us more detail, there are several folks around here that
still use UUCP for commercial purposes. - Jy@