Date:      Mon, 8 Aug 2011 23:26:39 -0500
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
Cc:        powerpc@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Tinderbox <tinderbox@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [head tinderbox] failure on powerpc/powerpc

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 06:53:40PM -0400, Super Bisquit wrote:
> Why does Tinderbox need cross tools? Is the build not native? If so, then
> the rationale would be to build on the architecture and not use cross
> compilation.

 - There are no powerpc machines currently online at *.FreeBSD.org.

 - The powerpc machines that we run on are far slower than the tinderbox
   machines.

 - Even if we had powerpc machines available, and could deal with the
   time-lag for world builds, what then about archs with no native
   machines available (e.g. MIPS)?

Cross compilation is needed in this case.

mcl