Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 07:37:45 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing Exchange Server

According to Doug Wellington:
> How does postfix really compare to the other major MTA's?  (Sendmail, exim,
> zmailer, and, my favorite, qmail.)  If I remember correctly, postfix/vmailer

Very nicely. I've been using sendmail for years (I'm also a beta tester of
sendmail and am a former beta-teser of qmail) but Postfix just blow it
away. Really.

There are two real alternative to sendmail these days. Postfix and Qmail. Why
not the other ones ? Just one reason: all the others use the same design as
sendmail with a big monolithic setuid root binary. That makes them less secure
and slower.

> is an update of smail, isn't it?

Absolutely not.

It is a complete redesign in a modular way, à la qmail but
better. It uses a inetd-like process (master) to manage all the other
processes, giving a very secure and fast architecture.

More details on the web site.

No setuid binary at all. No process trusts the other. You have parallel
delivery (but better than qmail's), header rewriting, header filtering, regex
support for the same, has virtual domains, supports UUCP, has a very easy
configuration file and too many other features to list :-)

Smail on the other hand is still using a monolithic setuid root binary.

>                                  The guy working on it right now (Weitse) is
> one of the Gods of the Internet, having created the tcp wrappers among other

That's the one.

> Heehee, well, traditionally, almost anything has been faster and more secure
> than sendmail.  That has changed and the new versions are quite good though..

Ask our postmaster (jmb) for the difference in speed between the two...

> >BTW Outlook is not really a good Windows mail reader.
>
> What makes you say that?

Lost of things. It doesn't deal with In-Reply-To: properly, doesn't generate
quoting code is completely broken. Among others.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #2: Fri Apr 16 22:37:03 CEST 1999