Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:05:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gdsntusr@globaldelsys.com
Subject:   Re: Does freeBSD or any related freeBSDs support file larger than 2GB on 32bit x86 platforms

gdsntusr@globaldelsys.com wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > [...]  I was thinking of trying freeBSD with its SCO emulation
 > support but I am uncertain whether freeBSD supports files larger than 2GB on
 > 32bit x86 platforms.

It certainly does.

olli@dao-lin-hay:/tmp> touch foobar
olli@dao-lin-hay:/tmp> truncate `echo "2^43 - 1" | bc` foobar
olli@dao-lin-hay:/tmp> ls -l foobar
-rw-r--r--  1 olli  wheel  8796093022207 Jul 27 23:55 foobar
olli@dao-lin-hay:/tmp>

That's 8 Tbyte - 1.  Impressive, isn't it?  :)

By the way, off_t (the data type used for seeking in files and
other things) is 64 bits in FreeBSD, even on the 32bit i386
platform, so this is not limiting.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)