Date:      Tue, 06 May 1997 00:14:26 -0700
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   crosscompiling (was Re: Report on DOSCMD)

Michael Smith wrote:

> I doubt you could use the Watcom libraries with it, but gcc-go32 is an
> extremely handy tool, and I beg you to keep it up to date.

Actually there's not much I can do :(. All the gcc-based crosscompiler
ports use the same disttree. The included "newlib" hasn't been upgraded
since ages and only supports the first version of DJGPP. What I've seen
Linux users do is add dircetly the updated libraries from DJGPP2 and
replace the old ones. Now that I think it if Watcom's C uses 16-bit libs
it won't work.

> It's the only free 32-bit DOS compiler around, and it provides a DOS
> programming environment that is extremely productive and highly
> conducive to rapid development and migration of *nix code.

The latest libraries also support most POSIX. I was told (by Delorie)
that quake and other commercial ports were built with the crosscompiler.

	Pedro.