Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:39:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM (Will Andrews)
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami), ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports INDEX

According to Will Andrews:
> On 28-Dec-99 Satoshi Asami wrote:
> > asami       1999/12/28 01:55:57 PST
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >   Log:
> >   New index, with 2,909 ports.  This may be the last index of 1,999 (no,
> >   it's not the last one of the century of the millenium, not by a long
> >   shot).
> >
> >   And 2,909 is a prime.  (How fitting. :)
>
> I'd be proud if we broke 3,000 by the time 4.0-RELEASE comes out. And I have
> the feeling that we will.
>
> Maybe we'll get 3,011 for another prime, just before the CD burning. ;>

	In the mid//late-1980's I read that Sun had around 7,000 ports
	availahble.  This seemed like it made the Suns capable of almost
	anything the user might want to do, assuming that he had the
	major $$$$.$$ for these ports.

	We're not that far from the 7K mark; we ought to have 4 000+
	by the turn of the century; that's really getting up there!

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix