Date:      Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:24:13 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
Cc:        Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>, freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bge(4)

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 08:13:42AM +0200, Christian Brueffer wrote:
 > On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 12:40:40PM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:
 > > When I do 'kldload if_bge' i get:
 > >
 > > -----8<-----
 > > bge0: <Altima AC9100 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x105> mem 0x10000-0x1ffff at device 3.0 on pci2
 > > bge0: firmware handshake timed out
 > > bge0 PHY read timed out
 > > bge0: MII without any PHY!
 > > device_attach: bge0 attach returned 6
 > > -----8<-----
 > >
 > > Is this expected?
 > >
 > > I'm looking for a good card to do forwarding of high pps on a Netra T1
 > > 200, because AFAICT gem and hme aren't documented to support interrupt
 > > mitigation nor polling(9).  Will em(4) work on sparc64?  Do people
 > > have other suggestions?
 > >

 > You can find a prototype polling(4) patch for bge(4) here:
 >
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/polling/bge_polling.diff
 >
 > It lacks error recovery though.  I haven't worked on this for some time,
 > but I'll look into polishing it this weekend.

Do you have a documentation for Tigon3?
Due to lack of data sheet for Tigon3 I can't sure supporting polling
for bge(4) is feasible. Comments in bge_intr says bge(4) needs an
interrupt to check link state changes as some revisions of BCM5700
have bugs in the chip. In addition, unlike most other drivers, bge(4)
calls bus_dmamap_sync(9) to update statistics for its status block
in bge_intr.

 > If I get my Ultra 10 to play nice with CURRENT and Pyun doesn't beat me
 > to it, I'll also take a look at hme(4).

I'm happy to review your changes.

--
Regards,