Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:31:35 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Haytham Algyndy <haytham@s4.elec.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM configuration

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Haytham Algyndy wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm a bit confused about configuring the CDROM.
> The CDROM that I'm using is a Creative-Labs CD,
> (It is detected by win95 as a Goldstar GCD-R542B)
> Quad speed and is connected alone to the secondary IDE
> port. The following lines are added to my kernel.
>
> options 	ATAPI
> options		"CD9660"
> controller	wdc1 at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
> device		wcd0
>
> In the handbook, the wcd0 is referred to as controller rather than
> device.
>
> I've tried compiling my kernel for each (controller & device) and I get
> /dev/wcd0c device not configured
>
> message whenever I try to mount my CD in each situation.

The error you mentioned isn't the only one in the handbook... The handbook
also says that make in the kernel build directory would place the new
kernel in its place. Well, it doesn't (at least for me it didn't...). Just
look in the kernel build directory, there should be a file named kernel
there. Install it in your root directory (the instructions for doing that
are in the book, in a section about restoring an old kernel or
something...).

You can also make sure that the kernel is the one you built by examining
the modification date on /kernel, and by checking the name of the kernel
(it is written out when the machine boots).

Nadav