Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 05:13:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in, crh@outpost.co.nz, adam@whizkidtech.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh no. The Guns Debate (was Re: On "intelligent people" and

> My point was that if they were escaping before the blast,
> instead of suicide bombing, they we less committed to their
> ideals than a fanatic (willing to die in a skirmish, even if
> it might cost your side the war to be without people).

	the person that succeeds in planting a bomb that is effective
and escaping to do so again is much better for the cause than the
suicide bomber.  after all the suicide bomber is a one time discharge
of the weapon.   perhaps this is why suicide bomber seem to appear
only after other methods are deemed to be too ineffective.

> The problem with NGO vs. government as your classification
> boundary is that one man's NGO is another man's government in
> exile.

	lets call anything that calls itself a govt a govt.  so, bin
laden's organization is not a govt (doesnt claim to be, i believe).
the afgans against the soviets were a govt.

> I agree that the primary distinction should be civilian vs.
> military targets, but there again, the line is really blurry;
> are the American people civilians, or are they the government?

	no its not.   people that work for the govt are govt.  people
that dont arent.  so the bank teller and the market stall owner are
not govt (one might argue otherwise if the person is a spy/informant.
but one doesnt need to plant a bomb in an open market to get those
people.)

jmb