Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:54:50 -0500
From:      Brian Cully <shmit@erols.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running sendmail queue upon connection?

On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 05:42:09PM -0500, Chris Shenton wrote:
> I thought there was a ESMTP command which a client would run to
> trigger this behavior. Problems:
>
> * what command is this? I can't find it in the O'Reilly book; or am I
>   delusional and just imagining it?

ETRN <domain.name>

> * Most customers are probably gonna use NT Exchange; how do you
>   configure it to play nice with real SMTP servers and issue this command?

Haven't got a clue. I believe Outlook Express handles ETRN, however.

> * What prevents a random person from connecting and flushing someone
>   else's queue to them, thus stealing their mail?

It flushes to the highest priority MX, so you need to point the highest
priority MX at their mail server (unless that's down, in which case
it goes to the next highest, and so on).

ETRN essentially runs 'sendmail -q<domain.name>' to flush mail, thus
it'll only go to the wrong server if their higher priority MX addresses
are misconfigured.

--
Brian Cully						<shmit@erols.com>
``And when one of our comrades was taken prisoner, blindfolded, hung