Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:37:14 -0700
From:      TJ Olney <market@cc.wwu.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   up from 3.51 to 4.1.1

The handbook says this:

   Q: How do I upgrade from 3.X -> 4.X?

   A: We strongly recommend that you use binary snapshots to do this.
4-STABLE    snapshots are available at
   releng4.FreeBSD.org.
and the UPGRADE.TXT file at
ftp://releng4.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/4.1-20001004-STABLE/UPGRADE.TXT

says that fstab should look like this
# Device      Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/wd0s2b   none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/wd0s2a   /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s2f   /local0         ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s2e   /usr            ufs     rw              1       1

But, wd devices are no longer recognized by 4.0 and when I have tried,
using the upgrade in /stand/sysinstall after booting from new floppies,
I have had missing devices, not yet built for my ide hard drives.  It
seems like chicken and egg.  I have had to revert to 3.51 which I
luckily managed to do without mishap.

How do I get the ata devices built from 3.51 so I can install 4.1.1?

I know I'm missing something, but I don't know what it is.  Thanks.

TJ Olney
market@cc.wwu.edu