Date:      23 Feb 2003 05:30:17 -0500
From:      Steven White <stevelyn@attbi.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gnome2 ports installation failure

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 00:30, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> You're complaining to the wrong people.  No one on this list has any
> control over FreeBSD SMTP server.  However, I do the same thing you're
> doing (i.e. have a NAT'd internal network with one external, routable,
> address), and my mail gets through no problem.  I use straight sendmail.

Oops! I appologize for the public rant as I was not aware the address
was a mailing list. I was merely following the instructions given by the
error output of config. In particular, I was attempting to forward
config.log, the stdout & stderr, and a package database listing as
requested to gnome@freebsd.org. Had I known it was a public mailing list
I would not have exposed you all to such a rant.Once again...sorry.

> In any event, your problem with GNOME is quite simple, and could have
> been avoided altogether if you have read the GNOME 2 FAQ at
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html (specifically, QA 5).
> Basically, your version of devel/pkgconfig is too old.  You need to
> update it before building GNOME.

Thanks Joe. RTFM should always be my first recourse, but my problem was
not as much with gnome2 as with the MTA/MDA interface. I was simply
curious about gnome2 and had some extra time to kill, so I tried to
install it. However, I did feel compelled to provide the requested
information following the config failure, and was quite frustrated in my
failure to be able to do so.

I use straight sendmail and mutt on a different box myself. The BSD box
runs as a locked down NIDS sensor exposed to the WAN side of my router.
As far as I could tell, I was using the appropriate settings in .muttrc
in order to specify the source address correctly. The issue that the
FreeBSD server complained of seems to be that the source address was set
differently from the user@host address, thereby leading to an
"authentication failure" since it could not look up my user@host
address. Since it appears that at least one of my e-mails regarding this
subject made it (using kmail), it would stand to reason that I would be
able to fix it here on my end, but the source of my frustration was
essentially that I had already failed using two differing mail clients
and was convinced that I would not be able to get through. Aditionally,
I've been using this mail configuration for some time now and have not
encountered problems elsewhere, so I concluded that the filtering rules
were just a little too conservative for an address intended to collect
information from a wide range of sources, although I now realize that
the assumption regarding the purpose of the address was flawed. I am
copying myself on this message to see how the mail envelope comes out
using this MUA (evolution).

In any case, thank you for the help with gnome2 and once again, please
accept my appologies for subjecting other users to my (unintended)
public rant.

Steve