Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:57:03 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Abd=FClkerim_Hasan?= <a_hasan1@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why does BSD use so much cpu ?

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 03:32:28PM +0300, Abdülkerim Hasan wrote:
>    I use FreeBSD4.2 stable and only works squid(2.3) proxy on it.When
>    squid is used by clients  BSD uses %40-60 cpu(s) (Certainly this
>    value changes according to use)
>
>    My machine has multi processor, 512 Mbytes ram
>    How can  I reduce cpu usage ?
>    will it be problem the server working like this ?

Can you tell me why you need the CPU usage lower? What makes it a good
thing that your server is doing absolutely nothing most of the time?

Since it's not running at 100% all the time, there is no problem here.
In fact, I would argue this is a good thing, since you know your machine
is making good use of its time. This is not a problem for your
server--you shouldn't be concerned until you have around 90% usage all
the time, even when the machine doesn't seem to be doing anything.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx