Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:38:44 +0200
From:      Martin Faxer <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>
To:        Michael Hostbaek <mich@freebsdcluster.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern: device pcm problems

On 2002.07.02 16:28:10 +0000, Michael Hostbaek wrote:
> I have problems getting my sound card functioning under -CURRENT. (While
> it was working perfect under -STABLE).
>
> I simply added 'device pcm' to the kernel config, when booting on new
> kernel I get lots of errors like this:
>
> <ESS Technology Maestro-2E> port 0x1400-0x14ff irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0
> ../../../vm/uma_core.c:1333: could sleep with "pcm0" locked from ../../../dev/so
> und/pcm/sound.c:134

This is a well known problem; it's basically a diagnostic message
telling you that there's a deficiency in the pcm driver.

If you want to fix it permanently I suggest that you go and have a look
at dev/sound/pcm/sound.c:134 and look for a way of invoking UMA without
holding the lock.

If you just want to work around it, you can probably disable INVARIANTS
and WITNESS in your kernel configuration and hope that it won't turn
into a real problem (ie. panic.)