Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 1995 18:41:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP - About removing libgcc.so.261

> >>Actually, I guess I have found an even better solution:
> >>
> >>	move ths shared libgcc to /usr/lib/FreeBSD-2.0-compat
> >>	tell ldconfig about that directory.
> >>
> >>ld should not find it, but ldconfig will...
>
> >   This will work (and we should do this), but people doing upgrades will
> >still have the old libgcc.so. I'll be committing a (very) good fix for the
> >problem shortly.
>
> The same fix is probably required for other previously-shared libraries
> such as libcompat.
>
> I'm still concerned about the static libgcc unnecessarily bloating all
> executables by 4K, partly because the of linkage order bugs.

Is what really scares me is one could rewrite most of /bin /sbin /usr/bin
/usr/sbin in perl and decrease the size of the installed system while
not slowing it down any :-(.

While almost all of the binaries are 4K larger than 1.1.5, many of them
are 8K larger :-(.  And some of them have grown by leaps and bounds.