Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:17:01 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update the src ?

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 08:24:20AM -0800, Colin Percival wrote:
> Henry Vogt wrote:
> > After using the new portsnap utility for a while with great success, i
> > tried to update the (current) src tree with the
> > also new freebsd-update utility, but  all i got (tried several times
> > within several weeks) is:
> >
> > # freebsd-update fetch
> > Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 1 mirrors found.
> > Fetching public key from update1.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> > No mirrors remaining, giving up.
>
> You're probably running -CURRENT, -STABLE, or 6.2-PRERELEASE.  FreeBSD
> Update doesn't support those, since the name doesn't provide any useful
> information about what you actually have installed.

There was actually a thread on this on bsdforums.  I had the same
problem on CURRENT and STABLE.  I hadn't realized (at the time) that it
didn't support STABLE.  I've seen this question come up from time to
time, on lists and private emails from friends.  Mr. Percival, do you
think it might be worthwhile adding a one or two line explanation that
it doesn't support CURRENT, STABLE or PRERELEASE to either the man page
or the config file (as those are the two places I think people are most
likely to check.)?

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Willow: Nervous?
 Xander: No way. I'm full of that good old kamikazee spirit.
 Giles: Xander, just because this is never going to work, there's no
need to be negative.