Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:16:35 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "D. Rock" <rock@cs.uni-sb.de>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some notes on pccard and apm support

> I just installed 3.0-current on my new notebook. It works OK most of the time
> but I have some minor problems:
> - pccard interrupts doesn't seem to get initialized correctly for statistics
>   output (vmstat -i). After I insert a pccard, all of its interrupts get
>   accounted for the clock interrupt, with the irq line of the clock interrupt
>   changing to the one for the PCCard.

This is a 'known bug', and requires a re-write of the way PCCARD probing
is done to fix it.  (This rewrite would also fix a number of other bugs
as well, but there is no one interested in taking on the laptop issue to
completion.)

> - Sometimes the PCCard isn't detected if inserted (or the system is booted
>   with the card already inserted: I had a Windows 98 running just fine with
>   the card, shut down the machine, turned power off and on and rebootet
>   FreeBSD and the card wasn't detected the 1st time, only after a few
>   plug/unplug operations, the card was properly detected). The pccard driver
>   detects the plugging/unplugging of the device, but a "pccardc dumpcis" only
>   only dumps a "terminator" tuple for the slot.

This *should* work.  You're best bet is to look into the code in pccardd
and figure out why it's not working.

> - After unplugging/replugging the card, I get an
> Slot x, unfielded interrupt (0)

Expected.  The software doesn't like the hardware disappearing
underneath it, and there's really no acceptable way to make this not
happen.  You can hang a windows box in the same way.
> - Shutdown/Resume doesn't seem to work. The system wakes up immediately after
>   a suspend to RAM (apm -Z) and after a suspend to disk (zzz), after wakeup
>   the system hangs. I recompiled the kernel with APM_DEBUG, and after resume
>   the hooks get called, but afterwards it hangs.

I think someone found that this was due to an extraneous 'cli'
instruction in the APM bios, but since there are lots of them in the
code I didn't know which one to remove.  Attempts to contact the author
of the email were ignored. :(

> This is stock 3.0-current, latest cvsup from yesterday.
> Needless to say, it works on Windows 98

I can lockup my box pretty easily on Windows hot swapping 'active'
cards as well.  It's just harder because the OS is slower. :)

Nate