Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:00:57 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf

> I'm trying to restrict the messeges that fill up my messeges log file into
> a sudo log. This is what I have so far:
>
> *.notice;kern.debug;mail.crit                   /var/log/messages
>
> !sudo
> *.*                             /var/log/sudo
>
> But sudo stuff still goes into messeges as well as sudo.  How can I
> restrict sudo stuff from the messeges file? I've tried sudo.none but that
> doesn't seem to help, and the man page isn't much help either.

The basic problem with syslog is that there are two basic
problems with syslog:

* It was spawned by the same mind that inflicted sendmail on us
  and so is cursed with an utterly bizarre set of rules.

* It is so widely used that it's really difficult to see any way
  of getting rid of it.

In my own software, I use my own logging library which follows a
model that I find much easier to configure and millions of times
easier to explain to my users.  However, since all the system
stuff uses syslog and since it's not going to go away, we also
have to understand how it works.

This is not the full story, because that's in the manuals (even
though it's difficult to follow) and because I don't have time
to write a five thousand word essay tonight.  But the critical
thing to really get into your head when understanding syslog is
that the rules are additive -- creating some new rule to send
some set of log messages to a new destination does not stop them
from also going wherever they were already going.  To stop them,
you have to first figure out which rule is currently active and
change that.  Once you have accomplished that, then you can add
your new rule.

Another problem is that the levels cannot be selected on their
own -- if you want 'info' messages, you also have to have all
the higher level messages as well.  This is one of the most
broken parts of the syslog mess.

One approach that works for lots of people is to throw away the
system syslog.conf and to craft a new file from scratch, adding
rules one by one with each rule going to its own file(s).  When
you're sick of the 'debug' messages from sendmail, you just
remove its log file; but the file you have left in place to
collect the more important messages will still do its job.  Of
course, the danger with this approach is that, if you make a
mess of it, you may deprive yourself of messages that actually
mattered to you.  So tread carefully if you go down that road.
And use the logger(1) program to send test messages and ensure
they end up where you expect to see them.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>