Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:29:05 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for testers -- CONF_FILES variable
References:  <BANLkTikvMU2dK=aN=hFgxA8wfvUitmfbRA@mail.gmail.com> <BANLkTinBC184bwcQ1Sfyy9xsw9usqr3SJQ@mail.gmail.com> <BANLkTi=nQByFgGNP--hkA4AF04Sw95s8jw@mail.gmail.com> <4E0C5B7A.5060102@FreeBSD.org> <CAF6rxgnkxuGcNk8O7vz0aLFBo2jLU-G%2BxaXSAS1Zvik2%2B%2BYtiw@mail.gmail.com> <4E109521.10209@FreeBSD.org> <CAF6rxgmiLvMFiUWv3BLYd7UjxJpOH3DBAPBkT5wOL=wM2UhrGw@mail.gmail.com> <64bc4d1f59e39f71f77ced1aed64e734@etoilebsd.net> <CAF6rxgkpAWRVz5vueUfVpuZcdYzKyn0c1K9pAmNwgbOUp=TtYg@mail.gmail.com> <CADLo83-h5UCO9-7=cfh6ERWHGqKzxj6J2SrfVuj5u5Nb-U1AhA@mail.gmail.com>

> What bapt is talking about is that he doesn't want people to blindly
> install the .sample files from the distfile, and actually _look_
> through them.

This is exactly what I expect the port to be doing. I do _not_ want
the port maintainers to be touching the upstream sample conf files
unless (a) they don't conform to hier(1) or (b) FreeBSD specific
settings need to be enabled.

> Of course, if you're changing the files at all you really shouldn't
> use the .sample format, because the .sample format comes from the
> distfile, not necessarily the port.

There are two cases
(1) The configuration needed a FreeBSD specific change (like adding
/usr/local/bin to PATH or whatnot) then the .sample suffix should not
be changed
(2) The port maintainer gratuitously changed the default configuration
given by the upstream project.
In the former case the suffix should not be changed. The latter case
should not happen.

> I think it's much politer for the users to receive a config file
> that's almost usable.

This is where we disagree. It may make sense for some very small
projects to have the maintainer up set the configuration file. However
for most programs (such as ssmtp, portmaster, aiccu, tarsnap, etc) it
makes no sense for the maintainer of the port to making operator
decisions.

--
Eitan Adler