Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2019 09:07:55 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zybo Z7 board running FreeBSD success

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 18:12:02 +0200
Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> page at http://www.skibo.net/zedbsd/ lists Zybo can run FreeBSD, but
> image provided does not work on Zybo Z7 I have. After some struggles I
> found a way to do it. My work is based on image provided there and,
> with some help from Thomas Skibo, I was able to run it on my board.
>
> There was two troubles caused by some differences of the boards, main
> one being different clock speed. I've got DTS from Thomas, which
> should work on Z7, but it was not enough. It turned out u-boot need
> to be built specifically for Z7 vs. original Zybo. Fortunatelly, we
> have sysutils/u-boot-zybo port in our tree and it was easy to modify
> it for Z7. Basically, rewrite Makefile zybo -> zybo-z7 and using
> 2019.01 u-boot sources. Detail on freebsd-uboot mailing list.
>
> For some reason, not yet known, I must set verbose boot to overcome
> panic from kernel at start. See serial console output in that case:

[ snip ]

> ugen0.1: <Xilinx EHCI root HUB> at usbus0
> uhub0: <Xilinx EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on
> usbus0 mmcsd0: 16GB <SDHC SD16G 6.1 SN 85E15EE5 MFG 11/2018 by 159
> TI> at mmc0 25.0MHz/4bit/65535-block vm_thread_new: kstack allocation
> TI> failed
> panic: kproc_start: bufdaemon: error 12
> cpuid = 0
> time = 1
> Uptime: 1s
> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
>
> No idea what's wrong, and why verbose boot 'fixes' (or maybe better
> just works around this) a problem. Any hint? Note: real memory being
> 0 MB is surely an error, but it shows this way when booting verbose
> too.

I did full rebuild from source with usual buildworld/buildkernel and
installkernel/installworld dance and this panic is gone, non-verbose
boot works as well. My current svn revision is 350234, 12.0-STABLE.
This took couple of days on board natively, but everything went smooth,
with souces and object trees residing on nfs mounted volume. I just
need to make /tmp filesystem large enough, -s150m in /etc/fstab, to
ensure succesfull install - cullprit is clang and ll<something> binaries
stripping with install -s. They are just huge.

My next plan is create 13-CURRENT version, but I do not expect anything
substantially diferent - comparing sources in arm/xilinx and dev/xilinx
does not show many differences, whe not counting FBSDID changes, just
one in dev/xilinx/axidma.c. But development should occur here, so the
move...

Regards,
Milan