Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:23:54 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Alexey Zakirov <frank@agava.com>
To:        Shannon Johnson <shannon@designcurve.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: jail & security

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Shannon Johnson wrote:

> > no chances. It's a very pain jail feature (weakness). :(
>
> I actually disagree. It it possible to limit a users resources within a

sorry, I have to repeat "no chances".
You CAN'T limit whole jail limits. If I had the superuser priviliges in
your jail(2) I'd trash your system. You can set users limits but you can't
resist against root compromise as ASPLinux and UML linux do.

> jail. You can use login classes in a jail just as you can outside it.  See

sure, I do it.

> I have used it extensively both at work and home and am very impressed with
> both the security and flexibility of a FreeBSD jail. As with all things in

I had to fix several shell servers to fix kernel signal race exploit.
jail(2) didn't help me in that case.

> some binaries (e.g. Linux), however, please make sure that if you are
> running a 4.2 and 3.x system, make sure that you have the patch for the
> procfs vulnerability http://lists.doddsnet.com/bugtraq/2000/12-Dec/0501.html

The most important patch IMO is the kern/18209.

*** WBR, Alexey Zakirov (frank@agava.com)