Date:      Thu, 8 Dec 2016 00:33:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mellanox Support Admin <supportadmin@mellanox.com>
To:        "freebsd-infiniband@freebsd.org" <freebsd-infiniband@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mellanox Case # 00320058 : RE: Slow speed with Mellanox IS5023 Switch and Connect-X3 cards  was updated  [ref:_00D507heg._50050q9Npg:ref ]

Dear Vin=C3=ADcius Ferr=C3=A3o,=20

Your Mellanox support case # 00320058/   has been updated By , with the fol=
lowing comment:=20
/-------------------------------------------------------------
Comment By Customer: ferrao@vmio.com.br
 Hello Sophie,

Recompiling the software isn=E2=80=99t an viable option.

I was able to mitigate the issue on this specific case raising the MTU to 6=
5520 on all machines. It turns out that the old machines were configured on=
 Connected Mode using only 2044 MTU and an MTU mismatch between the server =
and the clients was the real issue.

But I=E2=80=99m worried about the viability of Infiniband on FreeBSD. Chang=
ing from Connected Mode to Unreliable Datagram should be easier than recomp=
iling the kernel module.

There=E2=80=99s a way to ask Mellanox to change the drivers to make the swi=
tch from UD to CM viable on FreeBSD? A feature request perhaps?

Thanks in advance,
V.

> On 7 Dec 2016, at 19:05, Mellanox Support Admin <supportadmin@mellanox.co=
m>
-------------------------------------------------------------/

Thank You,=20

=20

Click on the link to access the case:=20
https://mymellanox.force.com/support/5005000000q9Npg

Don=E2=80=99t forget to check out our Online Academy, register now to learn=
 about the products and technology, http://academy.mellanox.com/login/index=
.php=20

/------ Your Case Comments History ------=20
 2016-12-08 00:33:13
Comment By Customer: ferrao@vmio.com.br
 Hello Sophie,

Recompiling the software isn=E2=80=99t an viable option.

I was able to mitigate the issue on this specific case raising the MTU to 6=
5520 on all machines. It turns out that the old machines were configured on=
 Connected Mode using only 2044 MTU and an MTU mismatch between the server =
and the clients was the real issue.

But I=E2=80=99m worried about the viability of Infiniband on FreeBSD. Chang=
ing from Connected Mode to Unreliable Datagram should be easier than recomp=
iling the kernel module.

There=E2=80=99s a way to ask Mellanox to change the drivers to make the swi=
tch from UD to CM viable on FreeBSD? A feature request perhaps?

Thanks in advance,
V.

> On 7 Dec 2016, at 19:05, Mellanox Support Admin <supportadmin@mellanox.co=
m>

  Created by: Sophie Naudin Pruitt 2016-12-07 21:05:15
Hi Vinicius,

Have you seen my last statement posted to this case and what is the current=
 status?
Please let me know.

Thank you,
Sophie.

  Created by: Sophie Naudin Pruitt 2016-12-05 23:02:35
Hi Vinicius,

Searching some forums, I found the following information:

Building OFED in FreeBSD

Kernel
=E2=80=A2Add the following options to your KERNCONF to compile the necessar=
y protocols/protocol options into your kernel:=20

options        OFED            # Infiniband protocol stack and support
options        SDP             # Sockets Direct Protocol for infiniband
options        IPOIB_CM        # Use connect mode ipoib >>>recompile withou=
t that option and the mode should be datagram.

Regards,
Sophie.

  Created by: Sophie Naudin Pruitt 2016-12-05 22:53:06
Hi Vin=C3=ADcius,

You are not using Mellanox OFED Driver if you are running OFED (OpenFabrics=
 Enterprise Distribution), what is the version and did you consult the UM?
With our driver, you can change the mode with:

echo datagram > /sys/class/net/ib0/mode sets the mode of ib0 to UD
echo connected > /sys/class/net/ib0/mode sets the mode ib0 to CM

Though FreeBSD does not have a /sys.

Regards,
Sophie.

  Created by: Anderson Dias Silva 2016-12-05 20:29:35
Hi Benny,

I am Anderson Dias Silva (LATAM SE). Please, see below an important conside=
ration of our customer.

After some testing we discovered that was a mismatch between the client and=
 the server on operating modes of IPoIB. One side was using Connected Mode =
(the FreeBSD one) and the Linux client was on Datagram mode).

So I=E2=80=99m considering running FreeBSD in UD (Datagram) mode to see if =
I finally can get rid of the problems. But, how can I change between CM and=
 UD in FreeBSD? We don't have a /sys folder on FreeBSD so I cant just set f=
rom 0 to 1 and change modes.

So, how can we change between CM and UD in FreeBSD?

Ragards!

  Created by: Benny Filin 2016-12-05 01:03:55
Hello Vin=C3=ADcius Ferr=C3=A3o,

Thank you for contacting Mellanox Technical Support.

1) DId you try changing switch ports when testing performance between two F=
reeBSD machines through switch?
2) What happens when you try a back-to-back connection between two FreeBSD =
machines? Do you get good results?
3) Did you test the performance between FreeBSD and a Linux machine through=
 switch?

Please, follow the provided procedure in order to query your unmanaged swit=
ch:=20
=20
1) Download and install MFT (Mellanox Firmware Tool):
http://www.mellanox.com/content/pages.php?pg=3Dmanagement_tools&menu_sectio=
n=3D34
Refer to the User Manual for the installation instructions:
http://www.mellanox.com/pdf/MFT/MFT_user_manual.pdf
=20
2) From one of the nodes in the fabric, invoke: ibswitches.
Match the relevant switch GUID from the Mellanox switch label to the LID.
=20
3) From one of the nodes in the fabric , invoke: mst start -> mst ib add ->=
 mst status
=20
4) Identify the relevant unmanaged switch mst representation based on the s=
witch LID (from previous step 2).
* Matching the remote switch mst device representation to the relevant swit=
ch procedure:
Locate the switch in the "ibswitches" output and retrieve the switch LID.=
=20
Convert the LID from Decimal to Hexadecimal base.
Locate the device with this LID (in hex base) from the "mst status" output.=
=20

5) Invoke the following command, and provide the output:
flint -d <remote_switch_mst_device> q

We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Mellanox Technical Support

  Created by: Jubran Jubran 2016-12-01 16:41:35
Hello Vin=C3=ADcius Ferr=C3=A3o,

Thank you for contacting Mellanox Technical Support.

1) DId you try changing switch ports when testing performance between two F=
reeBSD machines through switch?
2) What happens when you try a back-to-back connection between two FreeBSD =
machines? Do you get good results?
3) Did you test the performance between FreeBSD and a Linux machine through=
 switch?

Please, follow the provided procedure in order to query your unmanaged swit=
ch:=20
=C2=A0
[...]

Mellanox Technical Support=20

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?Lb7qJ000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000OHUC7D00oXC5fjVBQaK8BW_j4tGt8A>