Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:37:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   question about ppp & dynamic IP

I use ppp with an ISP that assigns dynamic IP addresses.  What IP address
should I use for my machine?  It seems 127.0.0.1 should be used, i.e.:

127.0.0.1	localhost.my.domain	localhost
127.0.0.1	myname.my.domain	myname

before I had:

10.0.0.1	myname.my.domain	myname
^^^^
The one shown here (10.0.0.1) was causing problems with fetchmail -- it
gave me gethostbyname failed for myname.my.domain.  But I sort of read
between the lines in the handbook that 10.0.0.1 should be used in the case
of dynamic IP allocation.  But it caused problems with fetchmail, so
I changed it to 127.0.0.1.  I thought this was wrong at first because I
figured that the same IP address couldn't be used for more than one entry
in /etc/hosts file.

I thought that maybe the handbook could be revised a little to point this
out.

	Donn