Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:37:50 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Rafal Jaworowski <rafal.jaworowski@motorola.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/powerpc on PPCBug-based embedded boards

Hi Rafal,

> I'll look at the OPIC changes definitely, BTW: as I need to update the
> sources I'm working on - would 5.2-RELEASE cross-compile on x86?

  You're much better off with -current. That cross-compiles
without any patches.

>>  Are there many ISA peripherals on this device ? The ISA bus
>> is a bit difficult to handle on PPC.
> are there any specific obstacles for ISA devices that you're referring
> to? DMA support maybe?

  More the fact that a lot of devices still use inb/outb, and
that complicates bus-space since there needs to be a static ISA
mapping. And yes, DMA would be a problem.

>>> de0: <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> port 0xfffff00-0xfffff7f mem
>>  Does this work OK ? If so, I'll add it to GENERIC.
>
> the configuration over PCI works ok - these values are read from
> adapter's config space with standard if_de driver found in the tree (it
> can be added to GENERIC then).

  OK, I'll wait 'til then.

> I may have additional questions regarding mounting root over network.

  Should be fine: just type "nfs" at the mountroot prompt and all
should be well. The loader has already been using NFS to pull in
the kernel.

later,

Peter.