Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 17:28:53 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Clint Olsen <clint@0lsen.net>, obrien@freebsd.org, corecode@corecode.ath.cx
Subject:   Re: Ports: mutt with curses instead of slang?

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 11:16:55PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 02:49:52PM -0700, Clint Olsen wrote:
> > On Jul 25, David O'Brien wrote:
> > >
> > > Slang should be used when built by the FreeBSD Package cluster.  I much
> > > prefer slang over ncurses -- I don't remember the battle I lost such that
> > > ncurses is the default.  Just build with `make WANT_SLANG=yes'
> >
> > Can you tell me where this WANT_SLANG is documented?  This is one part
> > about BSD that I don't like - the intricate build stuff...
>
> No where really.  I don't know how to nicely document the various port
> building knobs other than having someone read the port makefile.  Maybe
> we need to add a new make target that prints out all the knobs and a
> one-line description?

Sound like a job for pkg-opts as described in the thread "Proposed
new 'options' target" a couple of weeks ago. See for example
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=443560+0+archive/2002/freebsd-ports/20020728.freebsd-ports

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org