Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:18:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Bob Udderwein <budd@netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Linux vs. FreeBSD

On 20-Dec-99 Bob Udderwein wrote:
> The company I work for currently uses (please don't laugh)
> version 2.0 of FreeBSD, at least that is what uname -a
> says.  We sell a turnkey, networking solution, including
> proprietary hardware and software in a PC running
> FreeBSD.
>
> We are debating moving to 3.3 or 3.4 of FreeBSD, or
> abandoning FreeBSD in favor of Redhat Linux, version
> 6.1.
>
> I'm fighting against Linux and need some information
> about FreeBSD that I couldn't find at freebsd.org
> or elsewhere on the Net:
>
> What version of BIND is in the 3.3 and 3.4 versions?

lagrange> uname -v
FreeBSD 3.4-RC #0: Fri Dec 17 09:16:48 CET 1999
mj@lagrange.isy.liu.se:/usr/src/sys/comp LAGRANGE2
lagrange> named -v
named 8.2.2-P5-NOESW Thu Dec 16 17:17:02 CET 1999
        mj@lagrange.isy.liu.se:/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/named

> What version of Kerberos is supported?

Kerberos4, as from my 3.4-RC, too.
(Someone more knowledgeable than I should probably have answered this one)

> Any real time O/S extensions?

Not as I know of. Nothing like RT Linux anyway.

> FreeBSD run on any hardware besides x86?

Yes, alpha too

> Any *facts* on which is more stable?
> Any *facts* on which is better for TCP/IP?

Facts seem very difficult to obtain. Too much religoius warfare involved these
days. (I'd vote for BSD though:)

> Do we have to share with the world the source
> code for our application software, or device
> drivers?

NO!

>Same or different with Linux?

GPL says you must share. Dunno if that is actually done in every instance.

You should get both licenses and compare for yourself.
On your 2.0-system there should be a file COPYRIGHT
or similar, perhaps in /.
The GPL must be on the net somewhere...

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se