Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 14:35:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        scsi
Subject:   Re: 8 * 0xFF bytes at intermittent multiples of 0x1000

> I've been having weird problems with a variety of tape drives on the 1542B.
> I haven't been able to reliably get any tape to work. *sigh* I had a
> disk dedicated to swap on it at one point, but was having too many
> problems with it so I gave that up.
>
> I'm currently running 2.0.5R, and will be upgrading to 2.1.5R when it
> comes out on CD. If anyone has things they'd like me to try let me know.

I'm currently running 2.1.5R on a friend's box here (the one I put
together out of spare parts), and he was thinking of buying an Archive
Anaconda.  Recalling that you were having problems with this
combination, I'd be interested in hearing more.

BTW, it seems that at least some of the problems I reported earlier
were due to a really bad VLB motherboard, which seem to indicate that
it has serious DMA problems.  I haven't checked the 1542A, which is
still in Germany, but it made a big difference with the 1542B.

Greg