Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 01:14:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   AlphaServer 2100 family: call for testers

Doug Rabson & I have an AlphaServer 2100 4/200 booting FreeBSD.  It
seems stable.  It has built its own world, and is building its own
kernels.  I'm looking for people who have an AlphaServer 2000
(demi-sable), an AlphaServer 2100 (sable), or an AlphaServer 2100A
(lynx) who are interested in testing out what we've got so far.

http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/AS2100/kern.flp is a floppy image
containing the FreeBSD 5.0 BOOTMFS (install) kernel with AS2100
support.  If you're feeling adventurous, you can load the mfsroot from
the 4.0-RELEASE and attempt an installation.
(ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/4.0-RELEASE/floppies/mfsroot.flp)

Alternatively, you can try
http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/AS2100/kernel.gz which is just a
GENERIC kernel & is suitable for netbooting.

Please let me know if your machine boots & is usable.  Make sure to
report any problems you find to me along with boot output.  If the
machine crashes, please send along the full panic output.

And if you have a lynx, I'm _really_ interested in seeing the boot
output regardless of whether it worked.

The following caveats apply:

- I have never seen a 2100A nor have I seen documentation for a 2100A.
I have no idea if they will work with what I've got so far.

- EISA bus support is not compiled into the kernel.  I have no idea if
it works right.  I've got an EISA card to test with & I'll pursue this
soon (partly a matter of digging up the right ECU disks..).

- I haven't tried PCI cards behind PPBs.

Cheers,

Drew