Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:30:14 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update of FAQ 69 ?

John,

Sorry for the delay in responding:

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 11:29:20AM -0700, John Reynolds~ wrote:
> I was wondering if it was time to update FAQ69 w.r.t. the list of sound
> cards that are supported? It (http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ69.html#69) states:
>
>   FreeBSD supports the SoundBlaster, SoundBlaster Pro, SoundBlaster 16,
>   Pro Audio Spectrum 16, AdLib and Gravis UltraSound sound cards. There is
>   also limited support for MPU-401 and compatible MIDI cards. Cards conforming
>   to the Microsoft Sound System specification are also supported through the
>   pcm driver.
>
> I have a Creative Labs PCI128 which *is* supported with the pcm driver mostly
> due to it being an Ensoniq chip. I don't know if this falls under the
> category of "conforming to the Micro$oft $ound $y$tem spec." or not, but
> regardless, it would probably be informative for people investigating
> FreeBSD to know what these cards are. One would imagine that most people
> wouldn't know if their sound card was MSS compatible (heck, I don't know if
> *MY* sound card is ... I just know "it works under Win98").

<snip>

> I would be willing to accumulate sound card info for this FAQ (maybe by
> sending a request for info onto -hackers and/or -current) if it would
> help.

Please do.  I don't know much about FreeBSD's sound system, so if you can
marshal this information together in to a format for the FAQ I'll commit
it with thanks.

Cheers,

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>