Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:18:39 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Ben Cohen <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two questions

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 08:01:15PM +0100, Ben Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Doug White wrote:
>
> >> Firstly, when using some applications, particularly vi, in an xterm under
> >> X the numeric keypad produces garbage like
> >> this when I try to use it to get numbers.
> >
> >You _do_ have NumLock on, right?
>
> Yes, I do.  The arrows seem to work OK when it NumLock is off.
>
> (I'm using termcap xterm-color.  I have noticed similar things happen in
> vi and vim when using them via telnet from Windows.  It could be a
> termcap problem.)
>
> >I've not had this problem since the 2.1.X days.
>
> I forgot to say I'm using 3.0 Release (I think) from December 1998.
>
> >> I have
> >>
> >> # Let the server do the NumLock processing.  This should only be required
> >> # when using pre-R6 clients
> >>     ServerNumLock
> >>
> >> in XF86Config.  (This is necessary to make other applications work
> >> properly.)
> >>
> >> Is there any way to stop this from happening?
> >
> >Take that directive out; it makes NumLock do nutty things.

FWIW, ServerNumLock is commented out in my /etc/XF86Config and my
kbd behaves exactly the same as yours, i.e. the arrow keys work
with NumLock off and I get a single letter & linefeed when the
NumLock is off. I'm running 3.1 off the CDs.

Just a thought but, we are both in the UK and so will (probably)
have our keyboards setup differently to Doug. These are my settings
for the kbd in /etc/XF86Config:

	Protocol        "Standard"
	XkbRules        "xfree86"
	XkbModel        "pc102"
	XkbLayout       "gb"
	XkbOptions      "ctrl:swapcaps"

and in /etc/rc.conf I have:

keymap="uk.cp850"  # keymap in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/* (or NO).