Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 1995 14:17:53 -0800
From:      Pete Shipley <shipley@dis.org>
To:        d_burr@ix.netcom.com (Donald Burr)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a speech synthesizer for FreeBSD 2.0.5?

>I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5 and was wondering if there's a package or
>port out there that can synthesize speech and output it through the
>soundcard?  I.e. if I feed the program a file name or text on standard
>input, it will speak it.  The voice doesn't have to be English-like at
>all -- in fact, for my purposes, a computer/robot-like voice would
>really sound cool.  So, does anyone know of a program that can do
>this?  I didn't really see anything on my CDROM that looked promising.
>I have programs for Linux, but suspect that the sound drivers (even
>though they're both written by the same person) are probably vastly
>incompatible, and porting it would be a nightmare.
>
>--

I wrote one a while back (back == '88)
but never finished it, it used a public domain test to phoneme
converter that did not work to well thus 80% of the words were
from a local exceptions table (and the phoneme converter ended
up as a fall through for unknown words).

I am not sure if I have the code around anymore but I can look
around if you want....

		-Pete