Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:56:15 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        will@FreeBSD.org, reg@shale.csir.co.za, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16343: bsd.port.mk cannot override make.conf.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 11:27:48AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> No, it's a definite problem. If you have CFLAGS set in make.conf (this is
> a prerequisite for demonstrating the problem), you cannot override it from
> within a port, e.g. if you need to add a -DFOO setting to get it to
> compile.
>
> I had to hack around this in USE_OPENSSL by adding an OPENSSL_CFLAGS which
> needy ports would be taught to use. See pipsecd and bonnie for two ports
> which want to play with CFLAGS.

It works on my system, with

CFLAGS= -O -pipe

and in games/kbubbles/Makefile,

CFLAGS+=-v

..reg pointed out this problem is limited to ports without configure
scripts.. which I confirmed in my mail/mreport port.

Perhaps what we should do is implement something similar to the PCFLAGS
hack I've been using in some of my ports. Like, save the environment CFLAGS
to a separate variable such as SAVEFLAGS, then set CFLAGS="${PCFLAGS}",
which is set in the port Makefile, then set CFLAGS+=${SAVEFLAGS}. Something
like that.. did that make sense?

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>