Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 23:20:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WangDat 3100 SCSI tape

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday,  9 August 1998 at 22:53:16 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > I have the unit in the subject line, and I'm trying to get it working.
> > Does anyone know if it has a preference for a particular density and
> > blocksize?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> > Also, using mt, how does one go about formatting a tape?
>
> You don't.
>
> > So far, in experimenting (using mt and tar) I've been completely
> > unsuccessful.  I've been using /dev/rst0ctl.0 to set defaults, but
> > nothings working yet.  Appreciate any help ... I have no idea where this
> > guy came from, so I can't go back to the vendor.
>
> What's the problem?  You don't need to format the tape, just tar to
> it.  What happens when you do that?

I got a new tape, to make sure that wasn't the problem.  I have the
density set to "X3B5/88-185A", Blocksize variable.  I tried to tar my
home directory onto it, which has more than 100M now.  I get about 20
files into that, I get to a leftover kernel, and:

..
..
chuckr/.login
chuckr/.addressbook.lu
chuckr/kernel
tar: can't write to /dev/rst0 : Input/output error

moon:/usr/home:7 >

I'm doing this as root.  I chose the density not because of the name,
but because it numerically matched the density called out in the drive
specification (I located that and downloaded it).

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).