Date:      13 Sep 1999 23:50:00 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do I upgrade XFree86

Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu> wrote:

> 	I'm using FreeBSD-3.2 and I currently have XFree86-3.3.3.1 installed.
> I want to upgrade this to the latest XFree86 release (I believe that's
> XFree86-3.5).

3.3.5, actually.

> Since XFree86 is not installed as a package, can someone please
> tell me how I should go about it. Thanks,

Well, I can tell you what I did today in pretty much the same situation.
You could try to dig up a package list of 3.3.3.1 to properly remove all
its files, but I didn't bother, especially since there shouldn't be much
of a difference between 3.3.3 and 3.3.5. I simply went ahead and
installed the ports (/usr/ports/x11) of XFree86 and XFree86-contrib over
the previous installation. Actually, I did a "make install; make
deinstall; make install", as the simplest way to remove leftovers from
the previous installation, such as additional X servers, that wouldn't
be overwritten by the new install.

Don't forget to save your /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm, if you have
customized it. I forgot and had to restore it from a regular backup.
;-)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de