Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:47:27 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cputype=486

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 01:28:15PM -0500, Stephen Hilton wrote:
> If I am installing FreeBSD 4.3RC X or the upcoming 4.4 Release on a 486
> based machine, how will this affect me.
>
> Is there a workaround necessary?, or will the system binary install work
> fine?
>
> Could I run into problems with a later buildworld?, and if so is there a
> procedure to prevent that?

It would be useful if you included some context so that one would know
what you are talking about.

From the subjectline I assume that you refer to the fact that setting
CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf can cause problems in certain situations.

If CPUTYPE is not set then you don't have to worry about it.
By default it is not set. The releases are compiled without it.

The only time setting CPUTYPE can cause problems is if you are building
the world on one machine and then installing on another and the world
that is running on the buildmachine was previously built with a CPUTYPE
setting that the installmachine does not support.

If you install one of the official releases and never set CPUTYPE then
you will not have any problems. (At least not from this. Other problems
might of course occur. :-) )

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson