Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:18:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Khaled Daham <khaled@mailbox.telia.net>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1999-08-08 snapshot problem

Hi!

well andrew you were right ld-els.so.1 was bad juju.
why ? well
/sbin/cpio couldnt copy the fresh ld-els.so.1 over the old
one because of the schg flag set by chflags, so i removed
it and installed bin ( im glad i did this rather than searching
through alot of compressed files for ld-elf.so.1 :)

19990808 up'n'running :)

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Khaled Daham writes:
>  > Hello!
>  >
>  > Ive tried to upgrade from a mid june world to the 19990808 snapshot ( the
>  > latest at current.freebsd.org ) and here the problem begins :)
>  > first i get alot of
>  >
>  > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libc.so.3: Unsupported relocation type
>  > 0 in non-PLT relocation
>  >
>  > when local daemons is starting up ( some other libs too , which
>  > scroll by abit too fast for me to catch )
>  > then i get this.
>  >
>  > init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv[n], sleeping 30 secs
>  >
>  > and the console is stuck ..
>  > Now ive tried to upgrade twice and the last time i looked at the libs and
>  > they all are from aug-09 so no old libs there. most of the commans doesnt
>  > work and gives the above relocation type error ..
>  >
>  > Any hints ?
>  >

> I've not installed a snap in ages.  But I had a similar problem the
> last time I did an installworld.  I had to manually copy in
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 and re-start the  installworld.
>
> Did the problem start mid-way through the upgrade?  If so, perhaps you
> could boot single-user, extract ld-elf.so.1 & copy it into place?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drew

/Khaled, Telia Network Services

Mail:   khaled@telia.net
Cell:   070-6785492
Work:   08-4567281

:hacker: /n./  [originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe]