Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:25:37 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, Gnome at FreeBSD List <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: system BEL ('\007') not work under Gnome: why?

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 05:28:07PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 14:01 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Guys,
> >
> > 	Same thing under Gnome on my Ubuntu platform too.  It was new;
> > 	and now with my Dell, again, the beep that I like in vi/vim
> > 	doesn't sound.  i can write a C program to putchar('\007');
> > 	and the system sound here, altho thru my speakers rather than the
> > 	computer itself.
> >
> > 	KDE has an emulator but so far I've only gotten to to make a
> > 	strange sound.  This under Ubuntu.  Wrong wav file.  How do I
> > 	set up a bell.wav under gnome?  I don't like and can't see the
> > 	screen flash when I'm making sure my fingers hit the hright
> > 	keys....more/less.
>
> Look at the Sound capplet.  There is a tab there that will allow you to
> enable the system beep.

	Um, exactly where do I click?  If you mean the Prefs or Admin
	menues, I have found "Sound"  and did enable the system beep.
	Nothing happpens.  On the first tab, I can play all the clicks
	and bongs, and other wav files, but that's all.  Same on both
	FreeBSD and Ubuntu.  nada.

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix