Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:18:46 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
Cc:        Robert Czaplicki <Robert.Czaplicki@visitalk.com>, "'net@freebsd.org'" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: port 1024

-On [20000107 08:00], Omachonu Ogali (oogali@intranova.net) wrote:
>On most machines the ephermal ports start at 1024, so immediately after
>boot, the ports allocated would be 1024, 1025, etc. Sometimes, BIND is the
>first network-based process to run and binds it self to the first
>available port (in some cases 1024), I would advise you to get 'lsof' and
>run it to see what process is bound to that port.

If you say according to BSD history (duh, how's that for logic) then you
are right.  Otherwise you get ports 49152 upto 65535 for ephemeral ports
(according to IANA).

Given Solaris and possible other SVR4 descendants you'll end up at 32768
upto 65535 for the ephemeral ports.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai           asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl]
Documentation nutter.          *BSD: Technical excellence at its best...