Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:54:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LOCALE, Ltd.?

Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:
 > I'd been talking on a forum with a Linux database guy,
 > and he mentioned that on the PostGres lists, people
 > would "love to use *BSD" but the locale support is limited.
 >
 > Well, sure 'nough, `locale -a | wc -l` seems to be in the
 > mid-200s here, and his systems have over 550 locales.

I think one of the main problems is that FreeBSD's support
for multi-byte character sets such as UTF-8 is weak, to say
the least.  For example, syscons doesn't support it at all,
neither many programs in the base system.

The Linux folks really seem to be ahead in this regard.

By the way, as for the argument of "400 countries" ...

The number of locales doesn't have anything to do with the
number of countries.  For example, Switzerland requires at
least three different locales (for Swiss German, Swiss
French and Swiss Italian language).  Furthermore you might
need different character encodings (ISO8859-1, ISO8859-8,
UTF-8 or even less common ones such as UTF-16), that'll
double or triple the locales.  And, no, "Foobar here" and
"Foobar there" don't need to be the same -- for example,
Austrian German has some different month names from German
German.  Yeah, sounds funny, but that's how the world is.
I guess matters are even more complicated for our friends
in the Asian areas.

Best regards
   Oliver

(On the statement print "42 monkeys" + "1 snake":)  By the way,
both perl and Python get this wrong.  Perl gives 43 and Python
gives "42 monkeys1 snake", when the answer is clearly "41 monkeys
and 1 fat snake".        -- Jim Fulton